A HISTORY OF THE SOUTH EAST BRANCH

The  beginnings of the branch are firmly rooted in the Sussex countryside of the Downs and the Weald.

In the 1960’s, Norman Burgis, an architect and devoted Basset Hound man, designed for himself and his wife a contemporary, modern house in Ringmer, East Sussex.  This was built on a plot of land below No. 1 Church Hill. With some wit he called his property ‘Nought’.

Both Norman and Winifred were very keen on hunting with their hounds and had established their own pack called the Burgonet in the late 1950’s. The hounds, which at times numbered 15 couple (30 hounds) were kept in purpose-built and continually improved kennels within the grounds of Nought.

The Burgonet pack of pure-bred Bassets - not to be confused with the English Basset, a longer-legged hound favoured by many other packs -attracted numerous supporters and followers.

By the mid-sixties, the pack was hunting every week during the season in an area between Uckfield and Seaford with meets even to Stanmer Park, Brighton. The Burgonet had a dedicated staff to help with the management of the pack - our own esteemed Treasurer, Michael Errey being one of the whippers-in. Other Basset Hound owners would attend the meets and would sometimes be invited to augment the pack.

In the seasons when hunting did not take place, followers would descend upon Nought in their vehicles and take the hounds for exercise on Ashdown Forest.

In late 1967, this group of enthusiasts conceived the notion of forming the and applied to both the B.H.C. and the Kennel Club to sanction this idea. After some consideration, in late 1968, the branch came into being, helped upon its way with a handsome cheque from the parent club for £25. 0s. 0d.

Norman Burgis became the first Chairman and Michael the Hon. Treasurer.

Tony Roberts 2008

The  beginnings of the branch are firmly rooted in the Sussex countryside of the Downs and the Weald.

In the 1960’s, Norman Burgis, an architect and devoted Basset Hound man, designed for himself and his wife a contemporary, modern house in Ringmer, East Sussex.  This was built on a plot of land below No. 1 Church Hill. With some wit he called his property ‘Nought’.

Both Norman and Winifred were very keen on hunting with their hounds and had established their own pack called the Burgonet in the late 1950’s. The hounds, which at times numbered 15 couple (30 hounds) were kept in purpose-built and continually improved kennels within the grounds of Nought.

The Burgonet pack of pure-bred Bassets - not to be confused with the English Basset, a longer-legged hound favoured by many other packs -attracted numerous supporters and followers.

By the mid-sixties, the pack was hunting every week during the season in an area between Uckfield and Seaford with meets even to Stanmer Park, Brighton. The Burgonet had a dedicated staff to help with the management of the pack - our own esteemed Treasurer, Michael Errey being one of the whippers-in. Other Basset Hound owners would attend the meets and would sometimes be invited to augment the pack.

In the seasons when hunting did not take place, followers would descend upon Nought in their vehicles and take the hounds for exercise on Ashdown Forest.

In late 1967, this group of enthusiasts conceived the notion of forming the and applied to both the B.H.C. and the Kennel Club to sanction this idea. After some consideration, in late 1968, the branch came into being, helped upon its way with a handsome cheque from the parent club for £25. 0s. 0d.

Norman Burgis became the first Chairman and Michael the Hon. Treasurer.

Tony Roberts 2008

Hounds in the Forest

After forty years, the branch still holds many of its walks on Ashdown Forest following the footsteps of those founding fathers.

hound history ☞